Thursday, August 9, 2007

Planes, trains, and automobiles

P1010747.JPG
P1010747.JPG, originally uploaded by jermandjessvess.


If you haven't figured it out yet, I love to travel!

I was asked recently, which mode of transportation was my favorite between plane, boat, and car - and I chose car. Planes are great when you are going long distances, particularly over large mountains or bodies of water. (And of course, you get amazing views that you'd never otherwise have the chance to see.)

P1050573.JPG


But flying is definitely not a feeling that I love. I usually take motion sickness meds to keep from getting too nauseated. I'm also afraid of heights. Ironically, I've been skydiving and I've also been on an aerial acrobat plane.

P1040703


I've only been on one cruise, and I really enjoyed it.

bahamas


It didn't make me sick, but it wasn't like it was so fun that I would exclusively travel by boat from now on. However, I did get sick on a smaller boat - Jeremy's uncle's sailboat. It was a 4 day trip off the Gulf Coast. I was okay until we had a storm roll up on us. All day long we were tossed about by the wind and waves. Definitely not my favorite day.

I guess I like the familiarity of driving and maybe that feeling of being in control, but something about getting behind the wheel of a vehicle just feels so right.

I love driving long distances too. Usually when Jeremy and I go anywhere, I drive almost the entire way. Partly the reason is that I have a tendency to get car sick if I'm not driving. So Jeremy kindly lets me drive.

It was pointed out to me recently that I am pretty much a jetsetter. In the past year, I have been to Hawaii, NYC, Florida, Mexico, Gatlinburg, Maryland, the Outer Banks, Nashville, Savannah, etc. (And not even to mention trips to the NC mountains, several visits to Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, & Winston-Salem, and countless visits to Emerald Isle.) And of course, when I visit all these places, I love to take pictures!

P1050807.JPG

P1060190.JPG

waimea canyon

na pali coast

us at sunset at ke'e beach

P1070500.JPG

view from brooklyn bridge

times square

jerm spins me

crescent moon over the sound

P1090020

P1090455.JPG

P1090537.JPG

P1100493.JPG



I hopefully will one day have a job or the kind of life that involves a lot of travel. I may have an interview this week, in fact, to travel around to various churches and take photos for church directories. It may not sound like glamorous work, but the fact that it combines traveling with photography is quite exciting to me. Now I just have to convince Jeremy that he can live without me for a few days a week!

(The shot posted above was taken in February 2006 on 1-40 West in the mountains of TN on the way to Gatlinburg for a youth conference. Don't forget to hold your breath and of course honk your horn until we're all the way through the tunnel!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The job opportunity sounds awesome for you! Good luck! I love to travel, too, but don't get to do it very often. Maybe that will change after the baby comes and we're settled with our new family! :)

Anonymous said...

good blog. i prefer by car too. im sure you are going to rock their faces off at the job interview. not sure if thats the best thing but im sure it will happen. literally.

God bless the jess vess!