Friday, July 27, 2007

Welcome to my Photography Blog!

the sun tries to break through


I purchased a new digital camera for myself a year and a half ago...



SPECS:
Camera Type: Point & Shoot
Megapixels: 5 Megapixels
Optical Zoom: 12 X

...and ever since then a passion for photography has grown in me. I began to become slightly obsessed with taking pictures where ever I went. Recently, my husband, Jeremy, told me that I should consider photography as a career. So, I casually tossed around the idea in my head.

That very next day, I met Andrew Bryant. He is the brother of one of our best friend's wife. Anyway, he was taking pictures of his sister's wedding and I noticed his camera and struck up a conversation with him. It ended up being a God ordained connection for me. Andrew owns his own wedding photography business and he offered me the chance to shadow him. At first, I thought he was just being nice. But sure enough, he did come through on his offer.

Today I went with Andrew to Cedarwood Country Club in Charlotte for a bridal portrait session. I was so nervous. But at the same time so excited. He let me use one of his cameras and take shots. I have never shot with such a nice camera, especially one that is manual. So, the first half of shots I took were all too dark or too bright. But, it's all part of the learning process.

Tomorrow I have the opportunity to be a second shooter for Andrew at a wedding in Durham at Duke Gardens. I am siked, but again, pretty nervous.

(The shot posted above is one of the first pictures I took with my camera a year and a half ago. It was taken at my parents beach condo in Emerald Isle, NC. I love the beach!)

4 comments:

andrew said...

Hey Jess! Love the blog!!!!

Your work is awesome and we look forward to working with you in the future!

-Andrew

Rebarider said...

haha, wow. Best of luck with that - photography's only something I can dream about at the moment. Your pictures from what I've seen are awesome, I wish I could see more!

Unknown said...

I'm trying to remember what brand of camera you had in college, but you wre on the cutting edge even then--you had a digital camera when they weren't terribly popular yet!

Jess Vess said...

Thanks everyone! I'm very exciting about this new beginning of mine.

Thanks Andrew for your kind offers to help me get this dream off to a start. I REALLY appreciate how you have helped me so far!

Thanks Becca for the sweet compliments. Your photography work is amazing! Much better than mine in fact. But its cool to have a role model that is over 10 years younger than me. :)

Thanks Eddie. Thinking of that first digital camera makes me crack up. It was so bulky. I think it boasted 1MP and a 4KB memory card. WOW. I'm so cutting edge. ;)